Even since we were little children we were told that we need to drink milk to make our bones stronger. And now that we’re adults, doctors try to emphasize the importance of consuming enough calcium. You must be aware of the importance of calcium, calcium deficiency is dangerous especially if you are a woman. The recommended dose of calcium for men and women between 19-50 is around 1000 mg and women over 51 and men over 71 should consume around 1200 mg. These numbers have been confirmed by the National Institute of Health, as well as the Food and Nutrition Board.
Medical News warns that diets that are low in calcium can cause the body to release a hormone known as PTH. PTH helps balance the decreased calcium levels in your blood. Not having enough calcium can put you at a risk for osteoporosis.
Below, we present you the symptoms of calcium deficiency:
- Leg cramps can be felt in the calves, quads and hamstrings. They are usually a sign of calcium deficiency since they cause your nerve endings to spasm.
- Tingling or numbness in the hands and feet can be another result of cramping nerve endings.
- Cavities are a symptom that shows your body is low in calcium. This usually happens when your body doesn’t get enough calcium through food and it starts getting the calcium from other sources in your body such as your teeth.
- Peeling nails are another symptom of calcium deficiency and this means that you need to start eating more dairy products, green vegetables and to switch to fortified foods. After a while you will notice a change in your nail strength.
- Sleeping problems are also caused by calcium deficiency. In order for the body to go into deep sleep, melatonin needs to be produced and calcium helps in this process. If you suffer from calcium deficiency, you won’t be able to get your body to the level of deep sleep.
- Having a humped posture is a sign that your bones have become weak as a result of calcium deficiency and that your body is responding by stooping. Feeling back and neck pain can also be signs of calcium deficiency.
- Memory loss and hallucinations are neurological symptoms which can be explained as a result of calcium deficiency.
Seizures might appear as a result of calcium deficiency. It is important since it aids the process of neurotransmission and muscle contractions